AROS for AmigaOS
This is the release version 4.8 of AfA_OS.
Realtime Skin System, which can change Skins without closing the screen first,
and supports user defined border sizes for every border.
See Screenshot under the following link:
It can be selected between Visualprefs, Birdie or the AfA-Skin system via
AFA_Prefs and a customized startup-sequence.
ReAction (ClassAction), KingCON and MUI Windowgadgets are supported and replaced
by the Skinsystem with code and help from Dieter Groppé.
DOpus5 Iconify and tbiclass Windowgadgets are also supported and replaced by the
Skinsystem by pushing 😉 and with help from Thomas Klein.
A user configurable Blacklist where you can exclude programs from using bigger
than normal borders as some programs do not work with increased border size
properly. The blacklisted programs will then open with standard border size.
Please drop me a line if you mention that programs do not work properly with
Many user configurable real time parameters like three different Borderlines.
The user can change the pre defined Skin parameters over a GUI.
Window Titel Font autonomous from AOS attuned Window Font selectable.
Position of Window Titel Font and shadow with adjustable depth selectable.
Skins consist of several parts: Screentitle, For- and Background for the verti-
cal and horizontal sliders and window frame parts like top, bottom, left and
Now are 22 Skins from Ken Lester are usable. Here is a link to a screenshot
where 21 skins are shown:
AfA_OS allows you to use 32bit Dual Image PNG Icons, OS4 32bit Icons, « Palette »
GlowIcons and NewIcons with full Colorprecision and also faster than with the
original because colours must not be remapped to Workbench Palette. It works
in conjunction with DOpus Magellan and Workbench. Dragging of Icons works in
full 32bit colours with P96 and CyperGraphics V2. With CGX 3 and 4 icons will
only be shown in four colours while dragged.
OS4/PNG Icons can be scaled in realtime due to a high quality scale code by
Thilo Köhler. On a Classic (060) Mason-Icons with 30 pixel size can be rendered
faster than in original size.
Alpha-Channel support for picture datatypes.
TrueTypeFonts are supported with antialiasing.
Since AfA Version 3.96 NewIcons will be treated like GlowIcons. That means you
have to be the following things in mind: Icons will be converted into Glow-
Icons if you change anything on them (e.g. change or fix position, Tooltypes,
Changes for this version:
The icon_lib.exe use now a buffer that fix Hits by displaying Icons in the
The saving of the Font cache was disable in the diskfont_lib.exe this fix
problems with write protected Volumes.
In the graphics_lib.exe a problem with RecFill was fixed that occure if it was
used in the Border area.
The blacklisting are extended that the program TypeSmith now works with the
ToolType entry « bxxxTypeSmith » in the BlackList Icon. « bxxx » indicates that
the hight of title bar are not set back to the defaults.
The max posibile value of the Icon-Size in the Afa_Prefs program are set to
Thomas Klein has fix a Hit in morelibspace, reported by Frank Weber.
He also extend AfA_OS_Loader to support the parameter « OPTIMAL » with it the
AfA_OS_Libs are started in its optimal order.
The AfA_Prefs program are reviced by him, it is now complete localisable.
There are two new ToolTypes « ForceSkin » tries to close and open the Workbench
that the settings are used for all windows at the end of the program.
With « Layout=(0-2) » it is possible to switch between three layouts of the
Window settings, 1 is the default its the one that are used in older versions.
At 0 and 2 the stettings are grouped.
The new, cleaned-up, polished Amiga operating system for your 68K machine fixes all the small annoyances that have piled up over the years. Originally intended as a bug-fix release, it also modernizes many system components previously upgraded in OS 3.9.Contrary to its modest revision number, AmigaOS 3.1.4 is arguably as large an upgrade as OS 3.9 was, and surpasses it in stability and robustness. Over 320K of release notes cover almost every aspect of your favourite classic AmigaOS — from bootmenu to datatypes.Some highlights:
Since the Vampire currently does not support Autoconfig or other established means of integrating 3rd-party kickstart modules into the OS, the ROM has to be slightly patched and modified, using tools provided by ApolloTeam. We recommend using an A1200 ROM for this purpose, but we cannot offer support for this procedure or the resulting OS. Please seek ApolloTeam website for guidance and support at: http://www.apollo-accelerators.com/
December 2018: Good news everyone! AmiKit is now more stable than ever thanks to this new maintenance update. Maybe it took us long to fix a lightbulb, but at the end we’ve improved MANY things under the hood! For example the infamous HALT3 error is history now. Enjoy!
– FIXED: HALT3 freeze and Recoverable alerts on reboot (on systems with Amiga Forever or AmigaOS 3.9 w/BB2) are finally gone! Please shut down and restart AmiKit after update.
– FIXED: HDToolBox now works in AmigaOS 3.1.4
– FIXED: If you switch to old MUI 3.8 (via MorpheuZ), it shows images right now.
– FIXED: RAWBInfo was not corretly activated on OS3.9 systems with Boing Bag 2.
– AMIKIT: Optimized Startup-Sequences for all flavours make AmiKit even more stable.
– AMIKIT: MorpheuZ 10.5.2 now handles AmigaOS 3.9 patches better. We’ve also fine-tuned Startup Control.
– AMIKIT: LiveUpdate 1.7 by Daniel Westerberg
– AMIKIT: AmiKitReset 1.2 (reflects the above mentioned changes)
– AMIKIT: Various minor improvements here and there.
– UPDATED: IconLib 46.4.506 by P.Keunecke http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/IconLib_46.4
– UPDATED: MathLibsUAE 45.881 r14 by P.Keunecke http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/MathLibsUAE
– REMOVED: HTMLview.mcc from MUI 3.8 (because of ‘beta expired’ requester)
– OPTIONAL: Update your AmiKit installation with the latest WinUAE v4: Quick Guide (page 11)
– OPTIONAL: Mac users might update to the latest Wine: Quick Guide (page 11)
Thanks go to all of you who sent us bugreports and suggestions, especially to Fehmi Yucer, Anbjorn Myren, jPV/RNO, Christian Dammer, nilly, JimmiG, IamNewt and others.
– ADDED Many tweaks under the hood improving stability and performance of AKReal
– ADDED: Exclusive Retro Switch from AmiKit. Check it out in MorpheuZ.
– ADDED: Exclusive AmiStart v0.70 from AmiKit by Darius Brewka
– ADDED: iGame script icon launcher
– ADDED: UAE 4.4 (11.08.04) for AHI, based on Paula by Martin Blom, changed for WinUAE by Bernd Roesch.
– ADDED: CoolCALC v.0.1 by Richard Kapp including some skins that you can try out.
– ADDED: OpenTyrian game port by Artur Jarosik (Jan 2017)
– ADDED: MiniSlug game port Artur Jarosik (June 2017)
– ADDED: New TinyMeter prefs « Right Bar » available in MorpheuZ, Preferences, TinyMeter & Docks
– ADDED: ButtonMenu V1.23 by Oliver Roberts
– ADDED: DigiClock 1.4 by Thomas Rapp including new Flip-Clock option
– ADDED: New AmiStart script in WBStartup/Disabled with new AmiStart prefs
– ADDED: ProTracker 23e beta by Olav @8bitbubsy Download/Update script installer
– ADDED: 100 best Modules Selection by @Estrayk
– ADDED: New FourOneBirdie theme for VisualPrefs and Birdie based on FourOne by Ken Lester
– ADDED: TinyLauncher 3.51 by Michael Gibs. Use it with AGA or use ABS while rebooting.
– ADDED: New « Starfish » and « Girl robot latex » plus 16 colors « Lanny » wallpapers.
– ADDED: Amiga Boot Selector 0.4 by Gibs. Press the right mice button while booting to start it.
– ADDED: New « AKReal 9 Icons » option in MorpheuZ to try new icons or to keep the original ones.
– UPDATED: Icon.library 46.4.454 by Peter Keunecke
– UPDATED: Riva 0.52 by Stephen Fellner and Henryk Richter
– UPDATED: IBrowse settings. Yep, now you can OPEN your Gmail account.
– UPDATED: AmiSSL 4.0 by Jens Maus
– UPDATED: WHDLoad 18.3 by Bert Jahn
– UPDATED: MUIRoyale 1.7 by Andreas Falkenhahn
– UPDATED: EvenMore 0.91 – special AmiKit version by Chris Perver
– UPDATED: AmigaAMP 3.22 by Thomas Wenzel
– UPDATED: MUI-5.0-2017R3 by MUI AmigaOS development team
– UPDATED: AfA_OS v4.8 by Bernd Roesch
– UPDATED: LoadModule 45.9 by T.Richter and E.Vogt
– UPDATED: NetSurf and NetSurfAGA v37 Dev by Artur Jarosik (Sep 2017)
– CHANGED: CoolCALC now replaces Calculator program in WBDock and MacLikeDock
– CHANGED: AKReal logo with new design by Ken Lester
– CHANGED: PatchASL with MUI 5 update
– CHANGED: AWeb prefs
– CHANGED: MacLikeDock position, now it’s higher to fit the larger AmiStart logos
– CHANGED: ENVARC:FBlit.cfg. Enabled the « Inline » synchronisation of QBSBlitPatch
– FIXED: Iconifying ModExplorer with RTG in WinUAE. Do « Icons Reset » and « Snapshot » if you don’t see it.
– FIXED: AmiStart icon launcher from WBStartup and AmiStart options
– FIXED: MI-Soul radio streaming pls file stopped working
– FIXED: IconMaker files
October 2018: In this another free update we bring AmigaOS 3.1.4 support. You’re going to love how easy we made it for you. Simply launch MorpheuZ and click the « OS Update » button. It’s THAT easy.
We’ve also made a few tweaks. AmiKit now displays icon information much more nicer. Right-click any icon and select « Information » (we switched to RAWBinfo on AmigaOS 3.5/3.9)
A bit of fine-tuning made the AmiKit even easier to use. For example, click « Go to parent directory » button while in root directory to display device list. Oh, and did you know that you can double-click anywhere on desktop to invoke a lister?
We’ve done some cleanup and AmiKit boots even faster now! If you installed AmiKit with OS3.1 (from OS41FE), we bring some extra classes for you so, for example, LimpidClock will finally show up on your desktop!
Last but not least, we’ve fixed many bugs too. Check the changelog below for more details.
– ADDED: AmigaOS 3.1.4 support! More info at www.amikit.amiga.sk/os31update
– ADDED: Click « Go to parent directory » button while in root directory to display device list.
– ADDED: Click « DOpus » in MorpheuZ > Desktop Replacement to choose between RAWBInfo and DOpus for displaying icon info
– ADDED: or use an external IconInfo Selector 1.0 by Amyren (in SYS:Prefs/Presets/AmiKit/Goodies folder)
– ADDED: ClassAct 3.3 GUI toolkit will be installed if you use AmigaOS3.1 (from AOS4.1FE).
– FIXED: AmiStart taskbar didn’t launch Shell in FullHD mode (old taskbar is in SYS:Utilities/EXPANSION/AmiStart folder)
– FIXED: IBrowse text cursor was not visible.
– FIXED: JPEGTMP assign was missing. Some programs require it for decoding JPG images.
– FIXED: LimpidClock now works in AmigaOS 3.1 too!
– FIXED: Middle-mouse click on first DOpus Toolbar icon showed cache list instead of device list.
– FIXED: General icon cleanup. For example AUX.info and other icon files were missing. Others were redundant.
– FIXED: Some special Locale/Catalogs folder names were wrong. French locale should work now.
– FIXED: Missing RAD device on OS3.5 (and removed useless RAD0).
– AMIKIT: AmiKitReset 1.1 now also restores default DOpus 5.82 and MUI 5.
– AMIKIT: Fixed bug in Startup-Sequence which copied unnecessary files on every startup. AmiKit boots faster now!
– AMIKIT: Increased stack of Live Update.
– AMIKIT: Links updated to secure HTTPS where applicable.
– AMIKIT: New MorpheuZ 10.5.1 with AmigaOS 3.1.4 support. Also fixed the installation of patches on top of AOS3.9 w/both BoingBags.
– AMIKIT: RAWBInfo is now used for displaying icon information on AmigaOS 3.5/3.9.
– AMIKIT: Retro Switch has been updated to work with new AmigaOS.
– AMIKIT: Quick Guide updated with more information.
– AMIKIT: Support Forum has been updated. Now it supports mobile responsive layout!
– REMOVED: CD1-5 DOSDriver overload.
– OPTIONAL: Update your AmiKit installation with the latest WinUAE v4: Quick Guide (page 11)
– OPTIONAL: Mac users might update to the latest Wine: Quick Guide (page 11)
Thanks go to all of you who sent us bugreports and suggestions, especially to Anbjorn Myren, jPV/RNO, Artur Jarosik, Jazzy_J, Keith Matthews, Mikhail Malyshev, Michael Brenegan and others. Special thanks to Hyperion for providing us with AmigaOS 3.1.4 !
June 2018: It’s summertime for us here in the northern hemisphere and that means it’s time to grab a laptop with AmiKit, and head out for a picnic! We packed a number of great treats into your basket, so settle back and tuck in.
Simply run AmiKit and the 10.5 update will show up. It includes over 35 new features, updates, and fixes.
We have added a stylish feature called Dark Mode! It makes AmiKit look very cool and… dark! 🙂 That’s something you (and your eyes) definitely need during hot summer nights! To enable it, simply tell MorpheuZ and he will do the magic for you (right-click > AmiKit > MorpheuZ > Dark Mode).
Okay, any gamer here? We’ve included a playable demo of amazing Payback for you. It’s a GTA clone for Amiga made in UK. Therefore remember to drive on the left in this game! 🙂 (Btw. to set your preferred controls, press F12 and configure Port 2 in WinUAE/Game Ports)
Do you like Amiga demos? We do a LOT and we have something special for you in this release! A final version of Starstruck demo released 12 years after it won Assembly 2006! Good things need time to maturate 🙂
For those of you who listen to music often (and we do!), there’s an unique app called RNOInfoScreen. It detects SongPlayer, AmiNetRadio or AmigaAmp playing in background and shows info about current song including the album art! Very useful.
While talking about music, now you can convert any MOD to WAV (or other sound formats) with a right-mouse click! Newly included Play16 can then play it for you – again via right mouse click.
We’ve also included a number of music modules from famous Amiga games like First Samurai, Lotus, Gods, Project X and others. Find them in AmiKit:Utilities/Eagleplayer/Modules folder. Simply doubleclick a mod and enjoy your musical flashbacks. If you want to convert them to WAV, make sure to unpack the mods first (with right-click) as all of them are packed with XPK/SQSH, the best algorhythm for music modules.
Also, the fastest MPEG-1 Amiga video player, called RiVA, is now part of AmiKit and just a single right-mouse click away. Try it!
Those are just the highlights. We’d love to hear your feedback – find us on Facebook at facebook.com/AmiKit. If you’re looking to chat with us directly, or if you have questions or need support, just send us a message and we’ll point you in the right direction. There’s also a Support Forum if you prefer.
– AMIKIT: Added Dark Mode including new boot images, wallpapers, desktop elements (based on Ken Lester’s AmiKit theme), window patterns, configs, etc.
– AMIKIT: Added AmiKitReset 1.0 command. If you selected wrong screen mode or messed up startup programs, simply boot with no startup-sequence (hold both mouse buttons during reboot) and type: AmiKitReset
– AMIKIT: Updated AmiKit MorpheuZ 10.5 to support new Dark Mode
– AMIKIT: Updated DOpus filetypes to reflect new mod2wav, Play16 & RiVA – simply right mouse-click mod & sound & mpeg files.
– AMIKIT: Updated AmiStart menu (a backup is created first: AmiKit:Utilities/EXPANSION/AmiStart/sm.config.bak1041)
– AMIKIT: Updated AmiKit Quick Guide with some more useful information.
– ADDED: Dropbox Drive Handler 0.9 by Norbert Kett, http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/AmigaCloudHandlers
– ADDED: mod2wav (v20180625) by Martin Cameron, http://aminet.net/package/mus/edit/mod2wav
– ADDED: Music modules from famous Amiga games (AmiKit:Utilities/Eagleplayer/Modules)
– ADDED: Payback playable game demo by Apex Designs! (find it in AmiKit:Games/PaybackDemo fodler)
– ADDED: Play16 1.10 by Thomas Wenzel, http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/Play16
– ADDED: RiVA MPEG-1 Player 0.53 by Stephen Fellner & Henryk Richter, http://aminet.net/package/gfx/show/RiVA-0.53
– ADDED: RNOInfoScreen 1.6 by jPV^RNO, http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/RNOInfoScreen
– ADDED: Starstruck by The Black Lotus. A winner demo of Assembly 2006. Final version 2018.
– UPDATED: Codesets Library 6.21 by Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/util/libs/codesets-6.21
– UPDATED: Google Drive Handler 0.9 by Norbert Kett, http://aminet.net/package/comm/tcp/AmigaCloudHandlers
– UPDATED: LAME 3.100 (11-Nov-2017) by Mike Cheng, Mark Taylor and the LAME team, http://aminet.net/package/mus/misc/lameA68K-3.100
– UPDATED: LoadModule 45.15 by Thomas Richter and Etienne Vogt, http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule
– UPDATED: MCC_BetterString 11.32 Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/MCC_BetterString-11.32
– UPDATED: MCC_NList 0.124 by Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/MCC_NList-0.124
– UPDATED: MCC_TextEditor 15.50 by Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/MCC_TextEditor-15.50
– UPDATED: MCC_TheBar 26.19 Alfonso Ranieri and TheBar Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/dev/mui/MCC_TheBar-26.19
– UPDATED: MUI 5.0 (2018R1) by Stefan Stuntz, Thore Bockelmann and Jens Maus, https://muidev.de
– UPDATED: NetSurf 3.7 (18-Apr-2018) by Artur Jarosik, https://artishq.wordpress.com
– UPDATED: OpenURL 7.18 by OpenURL Open Source Team, http://aminet.net/package/comm/www/OpenURL-7.18
– UPDATED: AmiSSL 4.2 by AmiSSL Open Soure Team, https://github.com/jens-maus/amissl
– UPDATED: Redit 2.0 by Kai Scherrer, http://www.kaiiv.de/redit/de/
– UPDATED: SimpleCat 3.25 by Guido Mersmann, http://aminet.net/package/dev/misc/simplecat
– UPDATED: SimpleMail 0.44 by Hynek Schlawack & Sebastian Bauer, http://simplemail.sourceforge.net
– UPDATED: WHDLoad 18.4 beta (build 5907, 7-May-2018) by Bert Jahn, et al., http://whdload.de/
– UPDATED: xad_7z 2.8 by Chris Young, Igor Pavlov, Dag Agren, http://aminet.net/package/util/arc/xad_7z
– UPDATED: AmIRC servers (please note that on some computers AmIRC and WookieChat freeze on login. If it’s your, please use older AmIRC 3.50 from Aminet instead)
– OPTIONAL: Update your AmiKit installation with the latest WinUAE 4.0: bit.ly/AmiKit-QuickGuide (page 10)
– FIXED: EaglePlayer now opens in beautiful GUI again.
– FIXED: You can enable VisualPrefs in MorpheuZ > Startup Control again. We’ve fixed ‘command too long’ error on OS3.9 without Boing Bags.
– FIXED: Russian language is displayed correctly now
– FIXED: FullPalette launches again from AmiKit:Prefs folder
– FIXED: Now you can switch back to MUI 5 if you switched to MUI 3.8 in MorpheuZ before. Sorry for the inconvenience.
– REMOVED: VICE C64 emulator. If you need it, download it from http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/amigaos.html
Last, but not least, special thanks go to our international team of testers from USA, Canada, Germany, France and Australia, specifically to Jazzy_J, Keith Matthews, Merrill Newell, Salomé, Silvio Albrecht and Michael ‘Cap’ Brenegan. THANK YOU!